국제협력프로젝트

International Cooperative Project

Review _ Global Nomadic Art Project -India 2015

페이지 정보

작성일Date 16-01-19 15:28

본문

GNAP-India 2015를 마치고

GNAP-Asia 총감독 이응우

2015 12 23일 낮12 51분 영종도 활주로에 인도항공 여객기가 사뿐히 내려앉았다. 하늘에서 내려다 본 영종도의 회갈색 언덕이 다른 때보다 반갑게 느껴지는 것은 아마도 장기외유를 마치고 귀국하는 길이라서 그랬을 것이다. 솔직히 말하면, 한 달 전 인도로 떠날 때만 해도 마음이 가볍지 않았었다. 그것은 과연 이행사가 잘 진행되고 성공적으로 마무리 될 것인지에 대한 확신이 서지 않아서 그랬다. 행사의 현장이 외국인데다 주변의 우려와 현지 총책임자로부터 행사비가 부족하다는 연락을 받고 출발하는 터라 불안함이 더했었다. 다만 한 가닥 흔들리는 마음을 잡아준 것은 델리에 있는 한국문화원(KCC)으로부터 행사비 일부를 지원받았다는 사실이었다. 작년 겨울 현지의 한 화랑에서 우연히 KCC의 김금평원장님을 만났다. 그분은 아주 온화하면서도 촉이 섬세한 분이셨다. 그리고 첫 만남에서 프로젝트의 내용을 진지하게 듣고 나서 흔쾌히 적지 않은 액수의 지원을 약속하셨다. 이것은 우리가 초기 기세를 올리는데 결정적 역할을 해주었으며, 실제로 천군만마를 얻은 것처럼 큰 힘이 되었다.

우리는 늘 우리의 삶에서 이상과 현실의 문제를 이야기한다. 이상은 꿈이나 생각 등 일련의 마음속에서 벌어지는 일들로 매우 자유로운 영역이다. 그러나 그것을 현실로 불러오는 것은 그리 쉬운 일이 아니다. 3년 전 GNAP(Global Nomadic Art Project)를 창설하며 전 세계의 자연미술가와 큐레이터들과 원대한 계획을 세우던 때와 비교하면, 2015년 내내 우리는 안팎으로 아주 힘겨운 상황이 되었고 월드노마드 자체에 대한 회의적 입장이 대두되기도 했다. 설상가상으로 처음 기대했던 것과는 다르게 인도 현지의 사정도 중앙정부의 지원과 관심을 끌어내지 못함으로서 대형프로젝트로 가기에는 힘겨운 상황이 된 것이다. 그래도 불행 중 다행인 것은  구자라트 주정부와 유관기관, 지역사회로부터 적극적 지원 속에 GNAP는 한반도를 벗어나 먼 이국의 땅에서 첫 단추를 꿸 수 있었던 것이다. 결국 마음먹은 대로 되진 않았지만, 노마드가 이루어지는 지역으로부터 대대적인 호응을 얻었다는 점에서 전화위복이며 오히려 지속가능성을 띠게 된 것이다.

필자는 인도 현장에서 매일 같이 전개되는 변화무쌍한 상황들을 접하며 “무엇이 노마드의 진정한 정신일까?”에 대해 거듭 행각하게 되었다. 왜냐하면 우리가 대면하는 현장은 회의실의 원탁이 아니라는 사실 때문이었다. 다시 말하면 예술로서 유목을 실현하겠다는 것은 ‘예술의 특성’이 그러하듯 이성적이기 보다는 감성적이며 논리적이기 보다는 직관적이며 기계적이기 보다는 창의적이어야 한다. 그리고 ‘유목’은 말 그대로 현장의 삶인 것이다. 그것은 어떤 논리적 체계나 거대담론 보다도 현장과의 만남을 통해 자연스럽게 만들어지는 것이라는 점이었다. 의미가 다른 양자의 개념 즉, 자연과 예술, 예술가와 주민이 상호 소통하는 양방의 관계로 이루어져야 진정 의미가 있는 것이다.

따라서 GNAP의 핵심 요소는

첫째, 서로 다른 국가나 지역의 자연과 문화와 사람을 찾아가는 것에서 시작되어야 한다.

둘째, 서로 다른 자연과 문화와 사람이 만나는 것이다. 이 만남을 통해 우리는 그 공통점과 다른 점을 이해하는 것이다.

셋째는 나눔이다. 서로 다른 것들의 만남과 이해를 통해 얻어진 아름다운 추억과 결과들을 이를 경험하지 못한 사람들과 나눔으로서 확산하는 것이다.

지난 해 델리에서 TREES그룹의 주요 회원들과 GNAP-India를 기획하며 오늘날의 자연과 환경, 그리고 인간의 삶에 대한 많은 이야길 했었다. 즉 산업사회 이후 대두된 자본주의와 과학기술의 발달로 이룩된 첨단의 문명은 자연으로부터 인간이 멀어지는 결과를 초래했다. 이러한 문화의 변전은 그 속성상 과거로 돌이킬 수 없으며, 우리의 미래도 장담할 수 없게 된 것이다. 우리는 예술노마드를 통해 자연과 인간이 다시 만나 화해하고 우리의 평화로운 미래를 향해 나아가길 희망한다. 그것은 마치 15세기 르네상스운동이 인간성회복을 기치로 했던 것처럼, 21세기의 새로운 르네상스는 자연과 인간의 평화공존을 위한 “자연의 부활”을 모토로 해야 한다는 것으로 의견을 모았다.

우리의 예술유목은 인도의 서북부 구자라트에서 3주 동안 4,000킬로가 넘는 거리를 주파하며 현장의 자연환경과 인문환경을 통해 많은 것을 배우고 느끼고 또는 가슴에 담았다. 그리고 비록 소수의 작가와 스텝들이 참가한 행사지만 그들이 자연으로부터 재충전한 크나 큰 에너지는 앞으로 더 원대한 동력으로 작용할 것을 예감할 수 있었다.

처음 시작하던 날, 소무감독이 “얼마나 돌아다녔든지 새로 산 차가 세 달 만에 3만 킬로를 넘게 주행했으며, 앞머리의 머리카락이 한 움큼 빠져버렸다.”고 투덜댔다. 하지만 나는 애석하게도 그를 위로해 줄 말이 떠오르질 않았다. “그래 어쩌면 그보다 더 많은 것들이 소진되었을 것이다. 그렇다! 세상일이라는 것이 잘 되려면 누군가의 희생이 있어야 한다.” 그러나 우리의 노력은 결코 헛되지 않았음을 우리가 만났던 모든 사람들의 반응을 통해 이미 확인하였다. 따라서 “GNAP-India 2015”는 결코 끝나지 않은 것이다. 그것은 새로운 시작이다.

우리는 이 새로운 경험을 통해 인도의 자연과 환경, 그리고 역사와 문화 등이 남다른 토양에서 자연과 인간을 다시 잇는 아름다운 일들이 거듭되기를 기원한다.

Supka-Mangalho(God Bless you)!

Completion of GNAP-India 2015

Director of GNAP-Asia/ Ri, Eung-woo

On December 23, 2015 at 12:51 in the afternoon, my Air India flight lightly landed on the Yeongjongdo Island runway. As we descended from the sky, I was especially happy to see the grayish-brown colored hills of Yeongjongdo Island this time; most likely it was because I was returning home after finishing an extended trip abroad. Truthfully speaking, when leaving for India one month prior my heart was heavy--I wasn’t convinced that the event would be able to proceed smoothly or conclude successfully. The event location was foreign, there was surrounding concern, and I received notice that the event costs were insufficient from the local person in charge, thus I felt even more unsure as I was departing. Only one thing steadied my nerves, which was that the KCC(Korean Cultural Center) in Delhi had supported a portion of the event cost. Last winter, I coincidentally met Director Geum-pyeong Kim of the KCC at a local gallery. Director Kim was an especially gentle and delicate person. During our first meeting Director Kim willingly promised a significant amount of support after earnestly listening about the project. This gave us our initial momentum and played a crucial role; truthfully it gave us great strength, as if we had gained a thousand supporters.

We always say that there is a problem between reality and fantasy in our lives. Our fantasy is a natural domain made up of a series of dreams or thoughts that arise from deep inside us. However, bringing those things into reality is not an easy task. Three years ago GNAP(Global Nomadic Art Project) was established. Compared to the ambitious plans of nature artists and curators around the world at that time, throughout 2015 we experienced a difficult time with inner and outer workings, as well as skepticism about global nomad. To make matters worse, the circumstances surrounding the site in India was different than what we expected. Without eliciting the central government’s support and interest, it became a difficult situation in which to take on such a large-scale project. However, we had a stroke of good luck with the active support of the state government of Gujarat and interagency organizations and local society. GNAP had left Korea and for a faraway land, yet was able to create a new beginning. Although in the end things did not go as planned, it ended up being a blessing from the great response we received from the project site. In fact, it even added to the sustainability of the project.

As I experienced the ever-changing situations that unfolded at the site in India I repeated thought, “What is the real spirit of Nomad?”  Because the reality that what we faced was not that of a round-table council. In other words, as an art, realizing the nomad requires “artistic characteristics” that are more emotional than rational, more intuitive than logical, and more creative than mechanical. And similar to the meaning of the word “nomad,” it involves living at the site. More than a logical framework or meta-discourse, through meeting a site, in a way, it allows for natural creation. Differing concepts of nature and art only gain their true meaning through the relationships formed by mutual communication between artists and citizens.

Thus, the core elements of GNAP are as follows:

First, we must begin by looking at nature, culture and people in other countries and places.

Second, is meeting different types of nature, cultures and people. Through this meeting we understand commonalities and differences.

Third, is sharing. Sharing is spreading beautiful memories and results that come from meetings between various people and understanding, and diffusing that information to others who have not had those experiences.

Last year in Delhi, the main members of TREES and GNAP-India were making a plan, and talked much about the current state of nature and environment, and man and life. After industrial society, through rising capitalism and the development of scientific technology, advanced civilization has created a divide between nature and humankind. This kind of change in culture has made it impossible to return to the past, and prevents us from guaranteeing our future. Through art nomads, we bring man and nature together again to reconcile and hope for a peaceful future. Just as the Renaissance recovered humanity in the 15th century, it was decided that the 21st century needed a new type of Renaissance to make a peaceful coexistence between nature and man known as the “revival of nature.”

For three weeks we as art nomads covered 4,000 kilometers of India’s Northwestern Gujarat. At these sites we learned, felt and took in many things from the natural and human environments. And although only a minority of artists and staff attended the event, the great energy they used to restore nature will function as an even greater power in the future.

On the first day we started, Director Somu grumbled, “I just bought this new car but already in three months it’s put on 30,000 kilometers; I’ve about lost a fist-full of hair.” However, as regretful as I was, I couldn’t come up with any words to reply. “True. There are likely other things more exhausted than that as well. That’s right! In order to do something for the world, someone must suffer.”  However, through the responses received from those we met, in the end our efforts were not futile. In other words, “GNAP-India 2015” is not finished. It is merely a new beginning.

Through this new experience with nature and environment, history and culture in India, I hope in this extraordinary soil the beautiful connection between man and nature continues to occur.

Supka-Mangalho(God Bless you)!